Electronic Chart Committee (main) | Committee Documents
Chairman: NOAA , Kathryn Ries (U.S.)
The Electronic Chart Committee of the MesoAmerican and Caribbean Sea Hydrographic Commission (ECC–MACHC) of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) endeavors to promote the production and use of electronic chart data, e.g. Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) and Raster Navigational Charts (RNCs). The overall goal is to facilitate and promote the use of official electronic chart data (ENCs and RNCs) for safe, efficient, and environmentally-sensitive maritime navigation in the greater MesoAmerican region. Among the Committee's objectives are:
- Speed up ENC production for key ports and the major shipping routes,
- Establishing a data distribution service within the MACH Region,
- Improve the coastal states' hydrographic capacities and their ability to acquire data and produce accurate paper and electronic charts,
- Explore opportunities for alternative uses of hydrographic data and services,
- Increase an awareness of benefits of using EC data.
These tasks are divided among two primary Working Groups and the International Chart Committee:
- Working Group 1 - "MesoAmerican Capacity Building Pilot Project" to address the capacity building, and
- Working Group 2 - "ENC Production and Distribution" to address the production of ENCs
The INT Chart Committee strives to implement the INT Chart Scheme for the Region, to identify producer States, and to monitor its suitability throughout the Region.